
I had finally turned 16. Which meant I could drive!! Glorious freedom. Especially for a girl with lots of extra curricular activities. Driving on my own it meant I could go and visit my friends who lived in another town. These friends were my "horse family" since my parents didn't own a trailer or take me to horse shows.
I remember how excited I was when we were going out of town for a horse show, or concert or camping. I would maybe be a little too excited while driving up my friend Jenn's driveway. There was a posted speed limit sign "5 MPH", and several "SLOW" signs as well. I always thought 5 mph was a snails pace and usually pushed it to 10-15 mph...Well, okay maybe 25...
Once I reached the end of the gravel driveway, I'd park my car and race to the back porch, where I would be met by Mike, Jenn's dad. He'd usually be out back smoking a cigarette or getting a soda that they always kept on the back porch (pepsi). He'd greet me with "Breezee, you know the speed limit. If you keep driving like that your gonna be out there filling pot holes". And he meant it!
Several times I pulled into the Germano's driveway to be greeted by Mike, or Dan, Jenn's boyfriend, shoveling gravel out the back of the pick up truck. I wouldn't be allowed passage up the driveway until I got out and filled a few potholes as well.
It was a small price to pay to be able to spend time with the Germano's listening to Mike's funny stories, going to horse shows with Jenn, her mom and brother and basically being "adopted" into their family as one of their own.
I told this story at Mike's funeral on Friday. He passed away at the age of 49, unexpectedly. Mike was a great guy, and his family is a testiment to that. I feel blessed to have known him, and blessed to still be a part of the Germano's "family". Even though I rarely get to see them they are the kind of friends that you can go weeks, or maybe even months without seeing them, but when you do it feels as if no time has passed at all.
My thoughts and prayers are with them, I know they will miss Mike so very much.
Monday, October 6, 2008
Tomorrow is not a guarantee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I'm sorry, Beanie. I know how much fun you had with that family (and your other horsey families!)
Post a Comment