BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Technologically Challenged




I finally had to break down and get a new cell phone. My old phone had "bit the bullet". Probably had nothing to do with the fact that I talk on it a lot, drop it often and leave it on the charger for too long. Anyways I picked out a phone that the sales guy said would work well for all the things I used my phone for, and considering the "usage" (I took that to mean he thinks I talk alot...He may be right)

The phone looked pretty nifty. I brought it home, read the users manual- which normally I don't do because I just like to figure it out on my own. However, since I couldn't even figure out how to open it to use the "qwerty" keyboard I figured I might want to do some instructional reading. So I read, and then proceeded to try and download some ring tones on my phone. I was already lost. I even called the Verizon help number and the lady there couldn't help me either. I muddled through and wound up figuring it out. I thought I was good to go. I downloaded some ring tones and set them to my contacts. Things were looking up! That is, until it came to actually using the phone to make phone calls....

The "Glyde" is one of those touch screen phones, which seems like it would be easy enough. But, the problem is when you are talking to someone if you hold it between your ear and your shoulder you wind up unlocking the touch screen which results either in a) hanging up on your caller, b) dialing other people's numbers unkowingly while on your original call or c) both a & b combined.

I figured I would give myself a few days to get accustomed to it. But yea, not so much. Today while I was talking to Mark I hung up on him (oh, probably for the 10th time since I have had the phone). But since he was working directing traffic at an intersection at the Puyallup Fair I thought "Oh, he probably had to stop someone, so he hung up on me." I didn't think anything of it until I got to work, and the first message he sends me says "get a new phone"....

I think he may be on to something. I'm not sure this girl is ready for the fancy touch screen phone. So tomorrow, I will shame-facedly go and return it for a less challenging phone. I bet the guys at the Verizon store will make fun of me after I leave, cause I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of pre-teens out there who can operate that bad boy like a champ....But maybe, just maybe there are others out there who are as technologically challenged as myself....A girl can only hope!

0 comments: